Firewall causing latest updates to fail

Begonnen von jaydear, Juli 28, 2020, 08:34:22

« vorheriges - nächstes »

jaydear

Maybe I have my PC screwed down too hard? I have to disable Windows Firewall (Win 8.1) to allow installation of updated betas to proceed. After that, when I re-enable the firewall there is no problem, so I'm guessing there is a license check during installation. I can't see what .exe or whatever to allow to pass though.
The.Doctor is the ants' pants :)

Cypheros

No, there is no license checking but the digital signature of the installation package is checked to make sure, no one changed the files or attached a virus or something like that. For this checking the actual root certificates have to be present on your PC.

I guess some root certificates where missing and Windows needed to grab them from the Microsoft update servers.

jaydear

Ah, OK, thanks. I'll see how the next u/d goes. Certificates are a bit of a mystery to me. I know they're there somewhere, but I've never had to do anything with them ::)

Mam

Zitat von: jaydear am Juli 29, 2020, 06:36:28
I know they're there somewhere, but I've never had to do anything with them ::)
Lucky you are!  ;D

I am having my daily fight against/with them, believe me, it is nothing you are longing for   :'(

Cypheros

You should not have the same problems with the next update, because the needed certificates are now stored on your PC. The trouble starts if certificates expire and you not keep your system updated or work offline. Important certificates are valid for 10 to 20 years.

jaydear

www.cypheros.de