Automatic Cutting - How does it work?

Begonnen von rappel, September 06, 2017, 14:05:25

« vorheriges - nächstes »

rappel

Would it be possible please to:
Give a short explanation (or overview) of the way that the Automatic cutting works.
Give a brief explanation of each of the options for the tabs under the Auto cut preferences tab (and possible side effects of setting them)

- There's not much in the English manual about this.

The reason for asking is that when this works it's wonderful but 50% of the time it doesn't and I'm left wondering whether it's the way I have things set up or whether it is just the content of the TS files or a combination of both. If I understood better I might be able to adjust settings rather than process cuts manually.

I have a specific issue with Auto cut but before I ask that I'd like to understand better.

Thanks.

Mam

I'm not the author here, but from my knowledge, the answer to your question is very hard to impossible.
This is, because the Doc uses very many sources for cutting infos, like EPG, Teletext, additional files some receivers produce, even addition datatstreams attached to the recording.
These vary with every used hardware and with almost every channel.
So it is very complicated to write a "general" docu.
Even within the same channel they sometimes send some infos and sometimes forget to send them.

But of course, it is not totally random. Within the options you find the "auto-cut" tab. This contains several sub-tabs and you can think of them like beeing checked from left to right. If one info is found, this test is made and if this test returns a valid result, all others are skipped.

So it starts to scan for changes within the AC3 audio channel (5.1 <> 2.0), prefering 5.1 if found (the assumption is: 5.1 is movie, 2.0 are ads).
Next are changes in aspect ratio. This can only happen in SD streams, so today this test is usally skipped.
Then it looks for a "VPS" Signal, which is only available in Germany
"TT Modus" checks the teletext pages (only those that are known to contain program infos for a certain channel).
EPG looks for "running status" which should be available on every satelite
and, if everything else fails, it uses the most complicated (and time consuming) video analysis mode. This scans every frame for a logo and puts in cutting areas where logos are found, treating logo-less frames as ads. Because the channels are very creative with their logos, this often fails. Although the Doc is quite clever already finding horizontal and vertical logos. It chokes usually on too opaque (BBC) or moving logos. I would say, if you fall back to VA Mode, you more or less throw a coin...

www.cypheros.de