Cutting .TP0 + save as .TS

Begonnen von gert, Februar 02, 2017, 17:21:30

« vorheriges - nächstes »

gert

Hello,

I have lots of .TP0 files saved from my HomeCast recorder.
I can play them on my computer without problems.

Now I want to convert them to .TS so I can play them with my new recorder, or with Kodi, or ...
While doing that I also want to cut some unneeded parts at the beginning and the end.

Now the question is: can I do both (cutting and converting) in 1 go, or do I need to convert to .TS first, and then do the cutting in the generated .TS file?

I tried to open a .TP0 file and when I click "prepare cutting" the windows open but nothins happens: the preview windows stay blank, the 2 small preview windows stay blank, and all other functionality doesn't do anything.

If I have to convert to .TS first, and then do the cutting there, then that's not a real problem; it would just take more time (and some disk space)
So if there is an easier way to do the 2 actions at once, i would like to hear what I did wrong, as that could potentially save me a lot of time.

Cypheros

TS-Doctor can convert to ts and cut in one single step.
I guess there are the needed video filters missing. Newer Windows versions have bad codec support. Under Settings/Preferences/Supported Tools/LAVFilters you can download and install the free LAVFilters. They are very good for tv recordings and have all needed codecs you will ever need.

After installing this filters, you should have a working preview.

gert

Excellent!
This will save me lots of time :)

Just for my information: Do I understand correctly that the video filters
* are used for the previews and helping me decide where to do the cutting,
* are not used for the saving of the new .TS file? (That would seems logical because the save as TS function already worked before the filters where installed)

And what about the cuttting itself? Do the filters have any influence on the cutting process itself too?
If so, is there a difference in quality between the filters?
On another laptop , I don't have the LAVFilters, but I have a bunch of Nero codes and that seems to work too.
I used these for playing .TP0 files and at the time they seemed to do a better job than the LAVFilters. (That may be different now)

Cypheros

The filters are just needed to have a preview and set the exact time in the recording where to cut.
Most filters have a different accuracy regarding time stamps. So some filters will set the cut position one or two frames different.

Nero is a problem because newer versions of the nero filters are no longer usable by other programs even they pretend to do so. Most likely the original Windows Vista or Windows 7 filters are used. All later Windows versions have limited format support.

gert

Thanks for the information, very interesting.

The Nero filters I used on that old laptop are pretty old. I think they came with Nero 8 (or 7?) Essentials.
At the time (somewhere in 2015), when playing the .TP0 files I had the best results with these filters.
I tried several others, but most of the others had some artifacts in the movie file.

So basically, the filters have no influence on the quality of the final .TS file, and I can just choose the filters that make the most accurate cuts?

I think I'm going to experiment a bit this weekend :)

Cypheros

Yes, the cutting is done without filters at all. Only the time stamp ist important, not the filter to get it.

AUTOMATIC settings and installed LAVFilters should give you the best result.

If you have other experiences, please tell us.

There are some differences between standards (DVB,ATSC,ISDB) and the used formats (MPG1, MPG2, H.264, H.265, MP2,MP3,AAC,AC3,EACS,DTS). Even TS-Doctor tries to work with all of them, some of them are not common in Europe and needs some more tweeking sometimes.

We have limited access to american/canadian tv sources.

gert

I see what you mean.
While using Nero, the cutting points are a bit off (by a second or so), , both at the beginning and the end (both too late)
I uninstalled Nero and installed LAV filters instead, but unfortunately it is still not perfect. It is getting better though, instead of a second it's now about half a second.

I also installed the LAV filters on my Virtual Machine that I normally use with TS-Doctor, but that doesn't work: I don't get any preview. Maybe the filter doesn't want to work in a virtualized environment... A pity, because the built-in preview for native TS files works great there (and lets me make reliable cuts)

Cypheros

Try to use an other renderer for your VM (Settings/Preferences/Preview). Maybe it's a problem with the DirectShow/DirectX virtualization.

www.cypheros.de