File Merge Tool and split recordings

Begonnen von rappel, August 12, 2018, 21:18:51

« vorheriges - nächstes »

rappel

I have an issue and would like to understand what is causing it and if I can work round it in any way.

In the UK Channel 5 HD (and SD) broadcasts some films with a split between the two parts. Usually a news break or some such. This gives rise to a couple of issues 1 - Nothing to do with TS-Doctor - you have to schedule 2 separate recordings as the pieces aren't marked as linked or a series in a way that my Humax T2 can recognise.
2- I need to re-combine the pieces without the break content to get uninterrupted film.

Unhelpfully the first recording isn't shut off until the 2nd is due to start (this is way beyond the 1 minute padding I set on the recorder so the end time must be set by the broadcast)
and  therefore the second recording nearly always has a delayed start after the beginning of the video segment.

Normally File Merger combines the two, complains about the time difference, attempts to fix and presents both segments in a normal editing window (I tend to go straight to fix/edit when merging)

However recently I discovered that a lot of these are rebroadcast a couple of times, so if I schedule the second half to record at a different time (can be up to several days apart) I can get the complete video content.

When I tried this and combined the two halves the result was that File Merger complained, asked which section I wanted to ignore and then presented me with the half I didn't specify. Not much use.
Combining the two halves without initiating the fix/edit gave me a successful merge according to TS-Doc, the right size file, but again when trying to process with TS-Doctor it simply presents the second half as the file content.

I guess this has something to do with some advanced time checking to create a perfect .ts file (or possibly different ID's of some kind if it's broadcast at different times) but in this usage case it doesn't help me. Is there any way I can convince TS-Doctor to either ignore the time difference in the stream or correct it for me so that it is happy with the result as well?

Thanks.

Cypheros

The PIDs are the problem I guess. If a channel changes it's PIDs, the parts no longer fits to each other.

For example, int the first part the PID of the video stream has the value of 1209 and in the second part, the PID of the Video is 865. You have to change the video PID of the first part to 865 or the video PID of the second part to 1209.

You can use "Prepare Patching" button to change PIDs. Make sure that the PIDs for video and audio are the same for both parts. If you do it right, File Merger will no longer compain and only has to correct the timers.

rappel

Thanks,

Gave it a try, took a couple of tries to work out how the principle works.

So, not sure what the PIDs mean.
I got a table with current/new, 5 lines, 2121, 2122, 17, 18, 2123 in the first file and
6689, 6690, 17,18, 6694 in the second.

Prog no was still different of course.

I set all the second segment PIDs to the same as the first and then File Merge was happy to accept the two parts and present edit, although it did throw an error about full colour not being acceptable for DVB, so I said correct it.

Unfortunately at that point all went south.

Setting cut points, initially displayed first frame of first part but after it completed it's scanning and thumbnail generation, the main display was scrambled and this was all the way through.

Abandoned that and tried to save the file without cutting. Progressed nicely until it hit second part at which point the warning and error counts rose swiftly and as it got to the end, while it wrote out a file, there's no log and the program displayed a warning message about access violation and froze so I'm guessing it didn't like what it was seeing.

The resulting video file will play OK in MH Player until it hits the point at which the second segment starts, then random things such as audio only, freeze etc. happen.

If I missed something simple, please shout, if not I'll just go back to missing up to a minute of video when I join these, it's only TV after all.

If you are interested I can provide a couple of files for you to look at but only if you are actually interested in what might be going wrong.

Rgds,

Cypheros

Look at the attached screenshot. PIDs are identety numbers. To merge two files, the numbers have to be identically.
You can expand the PID list in the main window.

For both files, the numbers of the video stream has to be the same and so on for the audio streams.

rappel

Ah, just worked out how to attach files - doing my rusty German good. (Subsequently found forum language option in profil - hey ho)

Example from an SD freeview recording.

So, I don't see the PID info in the main window as you do, even though I am on current version - ts doctor 0.png
The only way I can get it is in the patch option - ts doctor 1.png - which I assume is the same info. Are they?

Rgds, Rick.

rappel

Scrub that, I just found the left facing arrow icons to the right of the screen on the streams. Info there, just hidden by default and on my screen I never noticed it.

So, that confirms the PIDs are the same there and in the patch dialogue.

I did set them identically (to the first segment) so there must have been something else not quite right as they merged.

Anything else I could try or is that the end of the simple stuff?

I will retry later on, just to make sure I did it right.

Rgds.

www.cypheros.de