computer resources

Begonnen von PerryM, Oktober 18, 2019, 16:00:42

« vorheriges - nächstes »

PerryM

I am updating and allocating to tasks my several computer resources. Does TS Doctor make any use of either multi-cores or a GPU for processing video?

Mam

Zitat von: PerryM am Oktober 18, 2019, 16:00:42
I am updating and allocating to tasks my several computer resources. Does TS Doctor make any use of either multi-cores or a GPU for processing video?
Nope  ???
Its single threaded (you can't read a sequential stream in many parts in parallel) and does not decode anything. The Preview window MAY use a GPU, but this depends heavily on the underlying filters that are used. With LAVFilters installed, you can configure them to use GPU, but in general, this will make things slower and more erratic. This is because those hardware decoders read the stream themselfs and do not report back the excact current location within the file. This makes cutting a the desired spots more or less a random play.

What helps a bit is to make IO as fast as you can. But an PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive is too much, CPU cant deliver the data fast enough to satisfy this disk. Throughput is usually maxed out at an average of 120Mb/s per video, even on the fastest hardware you can currently buy.

So, forget about the doc if you want to buy a new computer, use other programs you use to define your hardware needs.

Cypheros

As TS-Doctor does not reencode video and audio only for playback and video analysis multiple cores or video acceleration is used.

PerryM

Thanks guys.
I was particularly wondering about the video analysis for finding commercial breaks. This clearly involves picture decoding and analysis of potential station in-picture idents.
There is no new purchase involved - just allocation of several computers to the most appropriate job.
cheers

Mam

Zitat von: PerryM am Oktober 19, 2019, 18:13:07
Thanks guys.
I was particularly wondering about the video analysis for finding commercial breaks.
Video analysis usually benefits from multicore processors. But because the Doc decodes the samples one by one only, I have my doubt if there will be a big improvent with higher numbers of cores involved. But I can check it out...

Max Utilisation was 12% (for a second or so), so in general, the CPU is sleeping and in idle state. The whole analysis is taking too few cycles to be noticeable.

www.cypheros.de