Fluidity issues

Begonnen von latomus, März 10, 2015, 22:20:36

« vorheriges - nächstes »

latomus

Hi everybody;

I have been suffering for years and years a problem of fluidity of video rendering on my home setup. I suppose to a large extent that it is not connected with the quality of files produced by TS-DOCTOR. However, I am not in a position to completely disregard this assumption, hence this post here.

Linked to a visual experience, this kind of problem is difficult to explain with words and in particular in English...

I would explain it as follows. Let us take the example of a very simple video sequence, with a background that does not in change at all  for a long period of time and an object moving from the right to the left in front of this background. What I will see is sequence of images where individual images will be perfectly clear, but the moving object seems to move from the right-handed edge of the screen to the left in five/six stages. The global experience looks like there would be 5/6 fps rather than the usual 24, 25 of 30 fps.

My settop box is a CLARKETECH 6600SST. I do not experience this problem when I play back movies that have been recorded on the PVR. Then, the video motion is as fluid as it was on the original broadcasted stream.

Then, I select some movies of interest to me, use TS-DOCTOR for fixing the transmission errors and removing ads. Then, I store the fixed/edited movie on a QNAP NAS. All my home network devices are gigabyte Ethernet compliant and the throughput is excellent (400 Mbytes/sec between my NAS equipment and the place where the TV and additional networked video equipment are located).

My Networked Media Thank is a small, cheap A.C Ryan HD!Mini, connected through a HDMI cable to a SAMSUNG Television. When I use it for playing back videos stored on my QNAP NAS, I always experience the fluidity, smoothness issue described above.

Then I decided to test other setups. I tried to connect a PC to my SAMSUNG television (through an HDMI connection) and use VLC and other software video players. Same fluidity problems.

Then, trying for other ways to test this equipment and determine the reason of the problem, I remembered that my SAMSUNG television had a built-in facility to read video files located on networked devices. (to be frank, this functionality is rather poor since it does not read ISO files and the navigation tool is more than basic, in particular when it comes to deal with TS files).

Here, no problems of fluidity at all...

In conclusion, I am wondering where the problem lies. I assume that the built-in video rendering functionality of my television has been devised to cope with highly corrupted broadcasts and is therefore able to cope with desperate situations. However, it reads files that are supposed to have been fixed with TS-DOCTOR. Since the network throughput is excellent, I would rather conclude that the software based video readers used on my PC and/or the hardware based decoder of my A.C Ryan HD!Mini are not powerfull enough to cope with HD videos.

I would be grateful if you could share with me any ideas/assupmtions/suggestions in this respect.

Best regards

Cypheros

There are many possible problems. In most cases problems with fluid video playback is the framerate and/or the deinterlacing.

Try to set your mediaplayer to an "adaptive resolution/framerate" if possible, where the device uses the framerate and resolution of the source. A worse case scenatio is, you have a DVB file with 1080i/25, the player is set to 720p/50 and your TV is set to NTSC (480i/30). Any device tries to adapt the video resolution and framerate but any step will make the result worse.

www.cypheros.de