Colours disappearing from subtitles

Begonnen von jaydear, September 04, 2018, 02:51:57

« vorheriges - nächstes »

jaydear

Same result as VidCoder/Handbrake: DivX Converter can't see the subs :(
The.Doctor is the ants' pants :)

Cypheros

A tested, simple and working solution to create a MKV with SRT subtitles including color information. Source of the subtitles can be DVB or Teletext.
Used tools: TS-Doctor 2.1 & MKVToolnix 26.0

Sample file is "ABC2_cutted.ts", a file from Australien TV jaydear was so nice to provide two years ago.

To have Teletext and DVB subtitles converted to SRT, the following options under Settings/Preferences/"Teletext/Subtitles" have to be activated:

• Teletext processing
  • Extract Teletext subtitles (srt format)
  • Extract DVB subtitles (srt format)
  • Include color attributes

It's recommended to remove teletext and DVB subtitle tracks from the ts stream as they are redundant.

If I open "ABC2_cutted.ts", uncheck Teletext and click on "Save new file", TS-Doctor will create a file named Doctor Who.ts and a file named Doctor Who.eng.srt.

Now I open mkvtoolnix-gui.exe (can also be found in TS-Doctor under Tools/Expert Tools) and add the two files as "source files" (see attached image).

"Start multiplexing" will create a MKV file with colorful subtitles (see second image).

Mam

Zitat von: jaydear am September 08, 2018, 22:00:07
Initially, I did try something along those lines, but of course when I did my editing in VRD to remove unwanted bits, each approx. 4 minutes long, the files no longer matched :(
That's why I suggested a "rough cutting" with TSD. It might not be frame accurate (though for me its absolutely accurate enough?!?!?!?) but you can get pretty close to 1-3 seconds. The resulting subs will be close to that, and if you use the correction value within TSD, they will be totally matching.

Or are you cutting off parts from the MIDDLE of the film???

jaydear

Zitat von: Mam am September 09, 2018, 17:54:05
Or are you cutting off parts from the MIDDLE of the film???

Correct... Source is off-air, not from disc.

jaydear

Zitat von: Cypheros am September 09, 2018, 12:53:31
A tested, simple and working solution to create a MKV with SRT subtitles including color information.

Many thanks for that detailed guide. I'll test it today :D  ABC may not be the best test though... no ads to remove from middle :-[

jaydear

The only subs file I get from TSD when set up as you described is a "filename.[801].srt". I think that means there's only a teletext stream in the original TS file, i.e. no DVB subs (whatever they are). Anyway, the problem remains that editing in VRD AFTER TSD has done it's work leaves gaps and makes the A+V and Subs files different durations.

Stupid question time:
Here's a sample extract of a "filename.[801].srt" from TSD, read in Subtitle Edit-
00:28:01,740 --> 00:28:03,740
<font color="yellow">I love you.</font>
<font color="yellow">Please don't go.</font>

00:28:03,800 --> 00:28:05,620
(SAD GUITAR MUSIC)

00:28:05,680 --> 00:28:07,100
<font color="green">(CAR'S DOOR CLOSES)</font>

00:28:08,460 --> 00:28:10,900
<font color="green">(DOORBELL)</font>
<font color="white">SONG: # Wahh-ahhh</font>

00:28:12,480 --> 00:28:14,940
# Wahh-ahhh-ahhh... #

00:28:15,000 --> 00:28:17,580
<font color="yellow">Sandy, call me.</font>

00:28:17,640 --> 00:28:18,740
<font color="green">SANDY: OK.</font>

00:28:18,800 --> 00:28:20,660
<font color="cyan">ALL: Hey!</font>

What is it in that simple text that mkvtoolnix won't read when it's a separate stream within a TS file? To me it seems that anything enclosed in "< >" brackets is intentionally stripped out. I just don't get why.

I also don't get why teletext is so gross and ugly when viewed live (at least on my TV's). It looks like Commodore 64 text.

Where does OCR come into all this? If the text is burnt into the video the only need for OCR I can see is to get a script for some purpose which evades me just now.

There's so much I don't know about subs! Sorry for the stupid questions.

Mam

Zitat von: jaydear am September 10, 2018, 02:06:30
Anyway, the problem remains that editing in VRD AFTER TSD has done it's work leaves gaps and makes the A+V and Subs files different durations.
Which is perfectly logical considering your "workflow". TSD cannot know that you later on cut out parts from the middle, so it cannot calculate the resulting jump in time and modify the later subs accordingly.
Cutting with TSD is not frameaccurate, but not THAT bad too. So why dont you try my idea of an at least "rough" cut (+/- ~<1 second) with TSD and if you dont like the junctions later on, you can still use your old tool and cut out the disturbing frames. This would result in a "very close to reality" sub files (of course, if you cut out many parts, the errors in timings will add up). But I think, mostly you wont need any re-cutting, and even IF, there will only be a few frames affected so that the total difference in time will be almost invisible.
Its just a matter of good will and some training  ;D

jaydear

Zitat von: Mam am September 10, 2018, 07:41:01
...why dont you try my idea of an at least "rough" cut (+/- ~<1 second) with TSD...
OK, I'll give it another try (last time was in v1.2x) :)  I don't know if I frames are used more 'economically' here, but the result back then was visually jarring.

www.cypheros.de