Update check not working

Begonnen von jaydear, Februar 21, 2016, 03:08:42

« vorheriges - nächstes »

jaydear

I'm using TSD v2.0.17, but not because of auto-update or check for update which only returned a "no update available" message. I only found out there was a new version through the Videohelp forum! Can you fix the update checker please?
The.Doctor is the ants' pants :)

iks-jott

Hi jaydear,

have you choosen "checking for beta updates" too, in Preferences/General?

Greetings
Auch ein Maulwurfn findet mal ein Huhn!

jaydear

No, I assumed (where's Benny Hill when you need him?) that it was a normal update  :(  So 2.0.17 is a beta, right  ::)

iks-jott

Sorry, I really don´t know. But I don´t have any problems with this settings.
Auch ein Maulwurfn findet mal ein Huhn!

jaydear

Okay, I've selected "checking for beta updates", we'll see what happens...

jaydear

It's working now. I just discovered today that my firewall manager (Windows 10 Firewall Control) had automatically blocked TSD v2 which I have now corrected. With the firewall blocking TSD the "check for updates" option just says "no updates available". It would be better if it said "can't contact Cypheros server" or something similar  ;)

Djfe

@Cypheros even though the installer should place the needed firewall rules automatically (and that should be the real bug here -> why did that fail?, but it seems to be an exception)
I agree with him, there should be a better error check, if the connection fails

Does the same happen, if no internet connection is available? (I'll test that tomorrow with the update to .24)

jaydear

I should mention that I use the free version of a very nice firewall manager called "Windows 10 Firewall Control" (from sphinx-soft.com) which I believe actively prevents any manipulation of the firewall. Even though it is called "Windows 10, etc. it is actually for Windows 7 up  :)

Djfe

well that explains it
the TSD actually expects a working internet connection and it wasn't built to work with 3rd party firewalls ;)

the firewall rules were placed by the installer since UPNP got introduced, without them UPNP wouldn't work correctly

www.cypheros.de