1.2.8x doesn't launch on Windows Server 2012

Begonnen von DragonQ, Juni 02, 2013, 16:15:51

« vorheriges - nächstes »

DragonQ

Zitat von: Mam am Juni 11, 2013, 13:15:55But... maybe... you've (un)installed some roles/features recently that have unknown/unaware dependencies so you did not notice the change in the first glance?

I mean, "languages" and "designs" is at least a thing to be worth checked.
I have never removed a role or feature, only added when necessary.

Zitat von: Mam am Juni 11, 2013, 13:15:55Maybe its even a simple and stupid thing like a missing translation in the user interface for your language?
Try to rename your file and copy in a "well known working one" instead (in the case of the doctor its most likely "german" :-) )
I'm just using the standard English installer that works on my desktop machine. I've even tried removing all TS-Doctor related files I can find after uninstalling, followed by reinstalling, but the same freeze/crash always happens.

Zitat von: Mam am Juni 11, 2013, 13:15:55Don't give up so easily  ;D
I'm not giving up, I paid for this software so I expect it to work, I just can't see what the problem can be.

Mam

Zitat von: DragonQ am Juni 11, 2013, 15:24:16
I'm just using the standard English installer that works on my desktop machine. I've even tried removing all TS-Doctor related files I can find after uninstalling, followed by reinstalling, but the same freeze/crash always happens.

Nono, that was not what I had in mind...  ;D
(sorry for my misleading limited english, but its just not my natural language  ;D )

What I thought was that it MIGHT happen that the language file (in your case for english) of the Doctor himself is either corrupt, or not correct for that particular version. So I suggested to either install or switch to german in the program (either through the installer or just with a tweak in the registry) just to see if it loads again, or still crashes.
If it loads, we have more clues where the bug might be and how to fix it.
(you know, sometimes you simply forget to localize a new sentence and then the reaction of the program trying to display this sentence is not predictable. A defensive programmer would hardcode the "normal" language and overlay it with localized string, if one was forgotten just the normal language is still visible, but no harm is done. But I dont know how the Master here did his localization stuff  :P )

Mam

Ok, I was a bit curious, so I've checked it out:
[attachimg=1]

As you already said, TSD RUNS flawlessly on Windows 2012, even as Administrator.

It did for you before , it ceased working when....

Yeah, WHEN? WHY? WHAT DID YOU DO?

Obviously its neither TSD, nor the OS. So it must be a setting or something.

(I've just installed a 2012 Server, no additional Roles/features. Installed TSD and let it update itself to the current beta version)

DragonQ

Zitat von: Mam am Juni 11, 2013, 22:50:56It did for you before , it ceased working when....

Yeah, WHEN? WHY? WHAT DID YOU DO?
I updated TS-Doctor. I have no idea what version it was on before since I hadn't used it in months but it asked to update and I let it. Then *poof* it broke. The German installer version doesn't work either.

I've tried copying all of the files from my desktop to the server (e.g. licence file, ComSkip files, etc.) and this time it stays at 14% for ages and then says "invalid executable".

The easiest (and possibly only) way to solve this is to know exactly what is happening at 14%. The only thing I can see it doing is creating an empty "Download" folder in "C:\ProgramData\Cypheros\TsDoctor" and then, just before it crashes, a "Settings.dat" file appears in the same folder.

Mam

Maybe you should remove it completely (I remember there is a threat in this forum somewhere that explains how to remove remains from registry and so on (yeah, and before you ask, I can't remember where it is, please search yourself)), get rid of all files, reboot and then do a fresh install with the current version.

Maybe it was the long time of no updates that broke it? I dont know if you can easily skip several versions and still get a living program afterwards.

So better play it safe, aaah clean :-)

DragonQ

Well a search for "registry" yields nothing.  :(

Mam

Zitat von: DragonQ am Juni 13, 2013, 17:56:05
Well a search for "registry" yields nothing.  :(
Well the search in this board is limited to "current folder and below", so its wise to go to the base of the forums before searching...  ;D

Anyway, I just searched and found it back. Of course the article was in german :-)

• uninstall TS-Doctor normally
  • delete Folder C:\ProgramData\Cypheros\TsDoctor
  • if still present, delete installation folder completely. e.g: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypheros\TSDoctor
  • use RegEdit to remove the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cypheros\TSDoctor
  • use RegEdit to remove the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cypheros\TSDoctor löschen (on 32 Bit Windows)
OR
  • use RegEdit to remove the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cypheros\TSDoctor löschen (on 64 Bit Windows)
(I would add: "REBOOT!")
  • start TSDoctor_Ger.exe and install TS-Doctor from scratch

(I think TSDoctor_Ger.exe is TSDoctor_Eng.exe in your case??? )

This should ensure a real clean fresh installation. Cross your fingers, maybe it help?

DragonQ

Zitat von: Mam am Juni 13, 2013, 20:36:48Well the search in this board is limited to "current folder and below", so its wise to go to the base of the forums before searching...  ;D
Ah right!

I needed to restart for Windows Updates anyway, so I uninstalled, deleted the folders and registry keys, restarted and installed it again. So far, it works! Thanks for the help.

Cypheros

Jepp, Mam is the man (especially for Windows servers)  ;D

www.cypheros.de