1.2.8x doesn't launch on Windows Server 2012

Begonnen von DragonQ, Juni 02, 2013, 16:15:51

« vorheriges - nächstes »

DragonQ

When I do a fresh install of TS-Doctor on Windows Server 2012, it stops responding during launch. It gets to 14% on the splash screen and stops.

Mam

Zitat von: DragonQ am Juni 02, 2013, 16:15:51
When I do a fresh install of TS-Doctor on Windows Server 2012, it stops responding during launch. It gets to 14% on the splash screen and stops.

Aaah, I know this 14% very well already  ;D
I dont know WHAT it does there exactly, but it accesses or checks something in your home directory then. Make sure it is accessible. My TSD does not stop there but crashes with a seg fault if something is not correct at starting time.
I would suspect some file in your homedir beeing locked in your case. TSD seems to be waiting for the lock to be released. Look for other running programs that could occupy something there during that time.
Maybe the BOSS here can better explain WHAT exactly is accessed then ?

DragonQ

Mam

Zitat von: DragonQ am Juni 02, 2013, 17:20:27
Erm, what "home directory"?

In my case it happens when it tries to access files in your private folder. I'm running a serverbased network here, therefore the "my files", "my music" and so on folders are redirected to a central server space.
if you just log in locally as adminstrator it should be somewhere around C:\Users\Administrator...

zeros

Hi!
You need to be logged in as an administrator. Not only admin rights but also need to be as administrator!
Dreambox DM920 UHD, Lunix3-4K, QboxHD, Qbox Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB / Sony KDL-46W 905A / Rega BRIO-R 600 & NAD C 320BEE / Oppo BDP-105D, RX Post Production Suite 7.

DragonQ

I am logged in as Administrator. It's a server...

Mam

Zitat von: zeros am Juni 02, 2013, 19:11:16
You need to be logged in as an administrator. Not only admin rights but also need to be as administrator!

This is not correct  :o

zeros

I'll write more specifically-
I have Windows 7. When I login with the user, who has admin rights but is not named "administrator", I can not install nor update!
I have to log in with name "administrator" and of course with administrator rights.

In my second computer with Windows XP- there I have a user name with administrator rights. Interesingly, there is not necessary for update the user named "administrator". But, of course, is needed admin rights to the user.

Perhaps this explains a bit what I was thinking.
Dreambox DM920 UHD, Lunix3-4K, QboxHD, Qbox Mini, Icecrypt T2300HD, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB & 8GB / Sony KDL-46W 905A / Rega BRIO-R 600 & NAD C 320BEE / Oppo BDP-105D, RX Post Production Suite 7.

Mam

Zitat von: zeros am Juni 03, 2013, 07:53:12
I'll write more specifically-
I have Windows 7. When I login with the user, who has admin rights but is not named "administrator", I can not install nor update!
I have to log in with name "administrator" and of course with administrator rights.
Yeah it explains your thoughts, but it is wrong.
Surely even under W7/8/2008R2/2012 you can work with administrave rights but different user. In W8 you are even forced to because many programs refused to run if you are loggedin as "administrator".
So I am afraid, you should check your settings of your W7 Box, maybe you have forced the UAC to the "max level" which will always take you to a different desktop for acknowledgment?
Such settings can break programs that run in a batch or an alike-one environment.

DragonQ

Mam

Zitat von: DragonQ am Juni 09, 2013, 17:12:51
So....what could be the problem?

My hope was that the Guru here tells us, which actions happen at 14%. So we could make a better educated guess then...

Cypheros

Language is being loaded and the main form is being initialized.

Mam

Zitat von: Cypheros am Juni 11, 2013, 00:17:56
Language is being loaded and the main form is being initialized.
Yikes, this sounds evil! Usually these tasks are hidden deeply in the runtime system of the used compiler/language used and beyond the scope of the programmer  >:(

So I am afraid we never manage to track these bugs down and fix them.  :'(

TOO BAD SNIFF, SNIFF!  :(

AHHH :-) at least for the poor guy who originally asked here I have an idea where to look for:

Check your installed Roles and Features! Maybe the TSD runtime environment depends on some graphical stuff, that is not installed on the server version by default?
I would look and try some features like "Designs" or "Desktop Experience" or what they do call it now (I only have 2008R2, so I can't check them out myself).

Install them, try to run TSD again, pray, pray more (actually I dont believe in these things but they dont make it worse either :-) ) and see what happens...

Good Luck!

DragonQ

I can't imagine I have any missing features, unless TS-Doctor's requirements changed recently. TS-Doctor used to work on this machine.

Mam

Zitat von: DragonQ am Juni 11, 2013, 12:00:05
I can't imagine I have any missing features, unless TS-Doctor's requirements changed recently.
Expect the unexpected  ;D
Nah, seriously, I don't think that TSD's requirements have changed dramatically recently.

Zitat
TS-Doctor used to work on this machine.

But... maybe... you've (un)installed some roles/features recently that have unknown/unaware dependencies so you did not notice the change in the first glance?

I mean, "languages" and "designs" is at least a thing to be worth checked.

Maybe its even a simple and stupid thing like a missing translation in the user interface for your language?
Try to rename your file and copy in a "well known working one" instead (in the case of the doctor its most likely "german" :-) )

Don't give up so easily  ;D

www.cypheros.de