Subtitle SUP files from TSDoctor and SUP from ProjectX – what is the difference?

Begonnen von verabgd, August 08, 2012, 22:32:57

« vorheriges - nächstes »

verabgd

What is the difference between SUP files format that I get when I use TSDoctor to demultiplex H264 video with DVB subtitles and SUP files that I get when I use ProjectX for demuxing?  Or to rewrite the question: Is it possible to do something with SUP files from TSDoctor in order to make them usable for Blu-ray/DVD authoring? What to do to open these files with Subtitle Creator or BDSup2Sub? Perhaps someone can suggest some other program that can convert SUP files from TSDoctor to Vobsub (sub/idx)?

Both Subtitle Creator or BDSup2Sub reject SUP files from TSDoctor as "unrecognizable format". The same with Muxman.

I have lot of HD recordings with DVD subtitles and I would like to use these subtitles and to author Blu-rays (and sometimes DVDs) with these extracted subtitles. I want to avoid OCR; it useless for so many HD recordings.

For MPEG-2 1080i TS files I found the solution: I use ProjectX and demux all streams: for 1 subtitle stream it outputs 4 files: SUP, IFO, SUB and IDX. I can compile Blu-ray with subtitles using multiAVCHD (it accepts successfully IDX file via BDSup2Sub). It is also possible to add these subtitles to DVD, once when I convert HD video to DVD video (DVD compliant MPEG-2 PAL or NTSC). There is the problem with DVD Lab Pro that I use for years but I tried Muxman (free version) and Muxman can accept SUP files from ProjectX and mux DVD video with subtitles. Another free program that can accept these subtitles is DVDauthor GUI. MKVmerge can also mux original or renecoded video with IDX subtitles files.

But ProjectX cannot accept H264 video. Actually ProjectX can demux audio as well as all subtitles stream but they are adjusted at its own timeline, not to video timeline as for MPEG-2 1080i TS, so multiAVCHD accepts IDX files but there are no subtitles in compiled Blu-ray. As for DVDs both mentioned programs can produce DVD with subtitles but subtitles are out of synch, actually subtitles start at the very beginning, the same with MKVmerge.  I still didn't try it but I suppose that it is possible to set correct delay at the beginning.

My main goal is NOT TO CONVERT original TS files but to compile Blu-ray with extracted DVB subtitles, preferably using multiAVCHD as it does not re-encode the video. I would be very grateful for any help.

Mam

I am afraid, there is no real solution for you.

These DVB-SUP files, like the ones from DVD, are just bitmap graphics that are overlaid by the player at a specified time.
This means, they are fixed size and cannot be used (without evil tricks and surely needed recoding) on different media.

There are very few programs that can handle these SUPs, and they MUST USE OCR for this! There is no way to avoid it. You need the subs in a text format that can later be rendered with the desired video resolution on the fly. So, almost every authoring program accepts only textfiles as input like SRT or so on.

Also, your wish to preserve video quality without recoding at all will surely lead you into much trouble too. The broadcasted video format is not the standard type BD players are used to. They mainly deal with 1080p24 (movie) format disks, its not guaranteed that they also play the 720p50/60 or 1080i25/24 streams. They SHOULD, but if they can maybe be hard and painful way of learning by try&error.

aah, i forgot, the difference between TSD and Project X...
Yeah, there is none, it just depends on the input you give them. A DVD will give a 720x576 resolution in PAL, 640x480 in NTSC. These are already not interchangeble, so if you try out DVDs from different regions, even Project-X alone will give you troubles.
If you feed the same stuff to both programs, you will get out the same SUP files (make sure you are using a VERY RECENT Project-X version, the official one cannot handle HD Subs at all!)

www.cypheros.de