Suggestion: Raw cutter

Begonnen von Prasmus, Februar 19, 2012, 10:49:51

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Prasmus

Hi Cypheros

This might just be a function I would like but here it goes:

I would really like, if the raw cutter could be started automatic based on the first/last cut point done in the editing, maybe with a few seconds subtracted from the first cut and added to the last cut. This way I could save the original ts file (as I always do) but at a smaller size as it was cutted to minimize disk use.

One way of doing this could be a new option under the "Save new file" dialog where the "Append to Batch" checbox already is. This new option/checkbox would run the raw cutter on the same file with the first/last cutpoint (not any of the middle cut points). It should be able to function with the batch function too.

If you don't like my suggestion above, I have to ask: Is there a way to run the raw cutter from the command line ?
I could easy make a small tool that looked through my Filename_fixed.log files for first/last cut points and then call the raw cutter with those options.

Speaking on the raw cutter, I would also really like the Raw cutter dialog to accept Ctrl-C (and not only Ctrl-Ins) in the From packet and To packet textbox. This should be an easy fix I guess  ;)

Cypheros

Hi, thanks for the suggestion Prasmus. I will see what I can so for you but be warned that files from the RawCutter will not work very well on mediaplayers. Most receivers recording only some PATs and PMTs at the beginning of the file.
If you cut off the beginning with the RawCutter you probably will lose PAT and PMT. Losing PMT means that the stream descriptions are no longer available (languages, stream types, etc.)

If you have cuts in the middle of the stream the timers(PTS,PCR, etc.) are not being updated what will cause problems during playback and the mediaplayers will show a wrong duration of the file.

I would not recommend this kind of cutting but maybe you have your reasons for doing it that way.

Prasmus

Thanks for the fast reply.

Well as you can see, my knowledge about ts-streams are very limited.

The files from the RawCutter was intended as a backup of the original recorded ts-stream. I would never use it for playback but only if I wanted to re-edit it with TS-Doctor.

What I get out of your reply is that it's much better to backup the original recorded ts-stream instead of a cropped version saved by the RawCutter. In that case, just forget my suggestion!

I just thought I could save half the size of the ts-stream and still have the original "untouched" data.

Thanks again!

Cypheros

Why you don't use the resulting file from the TS-Doctor? The TS-Doctor changes only the realy important things but leaves most of the stream untouched.

Prasmus

My fault I didn't describe what I do clearly enough - here we go.

1) I record a ts-file.
2) I edit the file, cut out commercials etc. and saves it for playback (and storage).
3) I save the original recorded file as a backup.

The reason for the backup in 3) is:
  a: If the disk holding the edited version crashes I can re-edit it and save it again.
  b: If I discover I made a mistake in the editing I can redo it again.

It was the backup file in 3) I wanted to make smaller with the raw cutter, but I understand I loose quite some information so it was just a bad idea from the start - so just forget it  :)

If anyone wonder why I wanted to make the backup smaller... well if the program is 30 minutes the recording adds 100% to that because I start the recording 10 minutes before the program starts and let it run 20 minutes after it ends, just to make sure I get it all recorded (and even that fails from time to time).

Cypheros

Ok, I see.

If you want to make a backup but want to keep the original file or most of it, my suggestion would be to use the TS-Doctor in the way you wanted to use the RawCutter. Just cut the beginning and the end with the TS-Doctor, save this file and you will have 99,9% of the stream unchanged but cutted and with correct system tables (PAT/PMT). The RawCutter deluxe solution  ;)

www.cypheros.de